Friday, June 22, 2007

Shackin' up in the CdA

So here I am, in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. What a beautiful place! Who knew that I shouldn't have formed my opinion of Idaho by watching Napoleon Dynamite? Anyhow, the ceremonial pre-race activities have commenced around here. People wearing their gang colors (Tri club gear) from head to toe, or every piece of Ironman finisher gear they own, even if they have to layer to get it all on. And of course, people training as if they get enough training hours in the week before, they get a secret code that unlocks the special, uberfast and easy Ironman CdA course. All in good fun, and all adding to the atmosphere that is Ironman. So how did I get here? Well, that's an interesting story.....

It all started in Broussard, LA. We loaded up Tim's RV, and headed out west. WAY out west. Somehow from point A to Couer d'Alene, we went places that had no cell phone reception. For hours on end. I never understood all those horror movies where someone's car breaks down in the middle of Arizona, and they die out there. Now I understand. Some of the places we saw, and trained in were Gallop, New Mexico (elev. 6000ft). It was here that I set the town record for most nose bleeds in an hour, (4 for those counting at home). Wanna know what elevation feels like? Take a freezer size ziploc bag, put it over your nose and mouth. Now go ride. Then we saw Route 66, Lake Powell, Arizona. And of course, no trip would be complete without Salt Lake City. I never understood why Utah got the winter olympics. I get it now. That city rocks. Oh, and we liked Montana so much, we drove through it twice. What do I mean, you ask? Remember "Dumb and Dumber", where Lloyd and Harry are driving to Aspen. When Lloyd falls asleep, Harry takes a wrong turn, and they end up in Nebraska? Yeah, it happened. Ask Tim, he'll fill you in. Too funny.

Fast forward to today, I'm just sitting and waiting for the inevitable. Sunday and the race to come. Just stay healthy and focused till then. I'm sure I'll have some more interesting stories before the race and road trip are done. Thanks for reading...

No comments: