Thursday, July 12, 2007

Simplicity (or Race Cars and Candy Bars if that's cooler)

Forgive me if I jump around. I’ve been writing this Blog entry in my head since we got in the RV for the trip back to Louisiana. I think it was during my fifth different article in Triathlete magazine telling me the perfect race taper, or how I should schedule my long course nutrition, that this Blog entry started to manifest itself in the ole’ noggin of mine. It’s about simplicity. It was re-emphasized when I met with a friend of mine to help him with a training plan for an upcoming Half Ironman. We visited for about an hour, and I just kinda downloaded my thoughts, ideas, and biases for success at that distance. At the end of the meeting, he was appreciative, but I think he was waiting for more information. Like a workout that would give him an advantage, or something I did that was completely revolutionary or unorthodox, and produced results. How do I know? Because at the end of the meeting, he said, “So, that’s it?” Yep, that’s it. And basically, what I told him is what I follow, “Beat yourself up, rest, and repeat.” About as technical as it gets is the Power meter, and that’s only a basis from day to day so I can see if I am shelled or not. My favorite answer of the day was to the question, “How hard do I go on the bike?” I simply said, “Go as hard as you need to so that your vision starts to get blotchy.” Simple enough, I guess. But not so simple to implement, as I have a tendency to shy away from working myself so hard that stuff goes on the fritz. I’d love to know how swimmers do it daily.
I’ve tried to extend this simplicity theory in everything that I do. Take only what I need to work, and the camp, without hauling around 15 things “Just in case”. Simple nutrition, and trying to follow the JQ diet of “If God didn’t make it, I don’t eat it.” Once again, easy to understand, but hard to implement. Why? Because I, like most people, crave complexity. We love the technical aspect of things, and we equate hard to understand with cutting edge, and ultimately complexity is immediately associated with better. I’ve followed Gordo Byrn (www.gordoworld.com) and his blog for quite some time. I would always laugh when reading about his training because his advice was so vanilla. I thought it was too easy, too straightforward. He had to be keeping something a secret. Good thing I’ve saved most of the blogs on my computer, as I’ve gone back and re-read them. It’s as if I’m reading these things with the super-cool 3D glasses this time. More stuff makes sense, or maybe it makes more sense because I’m not trying to muddy things up with complexity. Go hard, go easy. And if all else fails, just get out the door and go.
Keeping with the theme of simple and complex, I read Floyd Landis’ book, Positively False. I say simple, because Floyd is a simple dude, and this book is very simple to read. The complexity comes in with his positive test for the Testerone/Epitest ratio during Stage 17 of last year’s tour. Whether you think he is guilty or innocent, you owe it to yourself to read the book. I have always felt that cyclists’ are misrepresented with anti-doping measures, and the UCI prosecutes riders even before they have a chance for a trial in the court of public opinion. Even if Floyd loses his arbitration case, hopefully the rights of professional cyclists’ changes for the better. These guys work too hard, and sacrifice too much to be just tossed aside in the name of being politically correct. Now granted, I do understand that this is Floyd’s side of the story, so some stuff will be biased and slanted toward his point of view, but there is some pretty good evidence that points to his innocence. Especially the difference in what constitutes a positive test in different countries. Ok, I’ve said too much. Go read the book. And if you want to reach further into the conspiracy bag, watch the movie, “V for Vendetta” before you read the book. A great movie, and appropriate for the time and state that our world is in right now. Some of the parallels are a bit scary.
Next on the read list is “Walden”. I might need some strong coffee to get through this one though, from what I’m told.

Thanks for reading…

1 comment:

ash said...

hey johnny! you know how much i love you, but...this is just too funny not to share!
let me begin by saying it's been a joy watching you evolve, especially when it comes to "taking only what you need." just so the rest of the world can laugh along with me, i'm going to share a little story about our PRIMITIVE camping experience for Bobo's Holy Toledo.
Like most road trips with 3 people doing a full triathlon, (one of which has at least tried every tri-geek gadget known to man, even if he only brings half of them) real estate in the car is at a premium. as i admire my packing job and look forward to this experience of independence, i go through each item on the list. (ok, i'm not really one to make lists, but i know people that do.)
2 tents? check.
3 sleeping bags? check.
1 lantern? check.
5 outlet power cord? CHECK!?

did i mention we were primitive camping (a.k.a. creature comforts are for sissies)? despite our efforts to persuade him there would be little need for electricity considering we had nothing to plug in, john insisted we pack it 'just in case.' so off we were, about to enjoy nature and all its majesty taking only the essentials...and our 5 outlet power cord.

by the way, i'm thrilled that my laissez faire attitude towards training plans can now be called a 'theory.'

"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone." HDT

love ya,
ash