Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Warriors and cowards

I'll only spend a minute on the cowards. Vino, Rasmussen, you are ruining pro cycling. Newsflash, Vino. The country of Kazakhstan sponsors you. For Pete's sake, your team kit's colors are the national colors, as well as the country's symbol proudly displayed on the front of your shirt. Do you think you'll ever be able to go home again? You were a national hero, a hard-nosed, everyman of cycling. I sure hope that this is all a big misunderstanding, or that the stitches in both knees somehow messed with the blood test. Or maybe you did need a transfusion with all the blood you lost. Let's not forget also that this is the same lab that screwed up Landis' results (read the book, I won't explain). Anyway, I want to believe you, but if you did do this, shame on you. You've set fire to your own house. As one of the Patron's in the peloton, you have now marked this beautiful sport for extinction. And it is a shame, as there was not a cooler story than a country backing their son for glory of professional bike racing, and for Kazakhstan. As for Rasmussen, you sir are a turd. I never liked you since the first time I heard about your antics with making mechanics' shave .4 grams off of your bike. Now you're a smuggler, too? In America, we call smugglers' Pirates. Or if you are in Italy, Il Pirata. You remember the last Pirate of the Peloton? Yeah, he's dead. Keep messing with blood boosting agents, and "conveniently" getting lost in Mexico. You are a theif, as you shouldn't have been allowed to start the tour, and are stealing it from Contador, Evans, Sastre and Leipheimer. I hope Denmark not only kicks you off of the National team, but also revokes your citizenship. Ride for the Mexican national team, then we'll see how talented you really are.

Ok, onto warriors. KSP, Ken St. Pe' for those watching at home, qualified for Ironman Hawaii this weekend. In short, I'm proud of that kid. Maybe he needs a Fulltriathlonracing kit to wear in Kona. For real, if you see him around, be sure to congratulate him. It's not just the race, its this guy's continued pursuit of excellence, and his constant focus on making himself and others better. By my count, the last male from Lafayette to get his ticket to Kona stamped? 1999, Charles Brenke. (Yes, I know 2 VERY talented young ladies went to Kona recently. I am not snubbing them). So KSP, it is a special moment indeed. I want my KSP autograph to read, "Thanks for letting me beat the crap out of you every Gurzi session, and every bike ride." And kids, if you want to know the secret of KSP's success, ask him about his patented "St. Pe' Superbrick." It's the magic bullet.

And yes, rumor mills are swirling. My ride, as Xhibit would say, has officially been "Pimped." Gaudy paint, 27" black and silver rims, this baby has it all. Pics to come later. So if you are interested in my BBQ pit (aka 2005 Cervelo P3SL, size 55), drop me a line. She could be up for sale.

Hopefully there is some dignity left in the Tour, and we see some beautiful Spanish trouncing tomorrow when Rasmussen is destroyed by Contador (or anyone, for that matter). I'll watch with baited breath, and an unwavering hope like a kid that refuses to give up on Santa Claus that some rider's in this Tour are still racing on courage and effort, with no artificial colors or flavors.

Thanks for reading....

No comments: