Friday, December 23, 2011

1000 Christmas K's - WTF?!

You've probably seen some banter on twitter and Facebook about 1,000 Christmas K's. What is it, you ask? Well, it's a really stupid (and by stupid I mean creative) idea to ride 1,000 km's (622 miles for you liberal arts majors) between Christmas holiday and the new year. Since my company was gracious enough to give us off December 23rd AND 26th for the holiday, I figured this was as good a year as any to give it a go. How did I dream up this feat of ridiculousness? Well, I didn't. Inspiration struck last year around this time while reading a blog from a Rapha product designer (they make cycling clothes) Graeme Raeburn tried the exact same thing. And since I've been struggling a bit (read, a lot) with motivation and packing on my fare share of the holiday pounds, I thought this would also be a "brilliant" way to spark some big miles in the teeth of winter. So why am I writing about this? Well, I just think this is a really fun idea to see what it's like to ride a weekly mileage of a pro. And just so I remember that I love being a desk jockey, I'm going to journal the entire series of rides on the blog. One, so I can see pictures of all the cool stuff you see while winter riding. And two, to remind myself what it actually felt like to do all these miles. The good, the bad, and the frozen. So enjoy the shennanigans that are about to unfold.

No comments: